Portobello Burger, Pickled Veggies, and Honey Dijonnaise

March 1, 2012

Who are you fooling with a mushroom burger, right? Maybe you’ve ordered something similar in a restaurant only to regret it upon taking a bite. (That’s definitely happened to me a couple of times.) The problem with most mushroom burgers is a lack of flavor and juiciness. This may sound difficult to remedy, but it’s not. I’ve found that simply marinating mushrooms with herbs, garlic and balsamic gives them that much desired kick. Keeping the portobellos whole also helps them to become extra juicy. They`ll absorb a lot of that marinade and cooking oil, and the more absorbed, the better. You’ll get all those juices and flavors back when you take a bite. You’ll almost think it’s meat. Portobellos are usually the size of a patty, so no fussing around; marinate, sauté in a pan, eat.

The quick-pickled vegetables adds extra crisp and sharpness, the honey dijonnaise sweetens the deal. Enjoy!

Marinade

This marinade is enough for 4 portobellos.

• 6 tablespoons olive oil
• 3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 2 sprigs of thyme, leaves only
• a small handful of parsley, chopped

If the stems of the mushrooms are too long, cut them off. Mix all ingredients in a bowl, add the portobellos and marinate for at least an hour. Turn them over a couple of times.

Pickled Veggies

You can really improvise here, if you don’t like fennel, don’t put any. If you think celery is great, put some. As long as you have the same amount of each vegetable. This works well on any kind of burger/sandwich.

• 1 medium carrot
• 1 small raddichio
• 1/2 fennel bulb
• 1/4 celeriac
• 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
• 2 tablespoon sugar
• 1 tablespoon oil
• a pinch of salt

Cut all the vegetables in julienne (mandolin or with your knife skills). Mix in a bowl with the vinegar, sugar, oil and salt. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.

Cooking

Heat up some oil in a frying pan.
Cook your mushrooms on medium heat, for 3-4 minutes on each side. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and deglaze with some of the marinating juice (or balsamic), shaking your pan. Leave to cool a couple of minutes before serving.

Serve on a toasted bun or roll, with pickled veggies, honey dijonnaise and your favorite cheese.

FacebookPinterestTwitterEmail

frugalfeeding March 1, 2012 at 11:23 am

I’d happily disagree with you about lack of juiciness and flavour with mushroom burgers – at least those made by me :D. Anyway, I do think this looks fantastic – a great idea! Much simpler, that does help

Bryan March 1, 2012 at 11:44 am

I’ll have to go down there and try one of yours. Cheers!

k.m. March 1, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Oh these do look good, can’t wait to try the pickled veggies too. How far in advance do you think the pickled vegetables can be made?

(I’ve never had the misfortune of eating a bad mushroom burger, but I have a lot of vegan/vegetarian friends, so maybe they know the places to go? Nevertheless I look forward to making these at home.)

Bryan March 1, 2012 at 3:49 pm

You can make the pickled vegetables a day or two in advance but then I would skip the radicchio (it would become to bitter).
As far as my experience with the restaurant porto burger, I must never have been to the right place at the right time. I’m glad you’ve had better luck!

Texaslifemilitarywife March 1, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Portobello burgers are my favorite. Thanks for the recipe.

countrywoodsmoke March 4, 2012 at 10:10 am

These look great, very tasty, used to have them regularly when I was veggie, and remember mushroom juices going everywhere when I bit into it…mmm. Still make them for veggie friends and they go down a treat.
Cheers
Marcus

Eggton March 6, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Loving the pictures you guys took for this post, especially the action shots at the end that perhaps your girlfriend snapped? I adore the taste of fennel, even raw in a dip, and I love cutting it. Funny, because I hate liquorice. Anyway, this looks great. And you’re spot on about people avoiding portabello burgers in restaurants– I’m glad to have a good recipe to use at home.

Bryan March 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Yeah, the action shots are all hers.
I wasn’t a fan of fennel a few years back, but I kept eating it and now I love it!

christellar March 7, 2012 at 12:30 pm

great photos! Really like the pickled slaw idea with mushrooms too!

¢hung¢hange March 7, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I need to make this in my life. Looks incredibly delicious!

mmmmushrooms March 11, 2012 at 9:41 am

Bryan, what can we say? What a perfect way to treat your portobellos! We’ll be sharing this with our shroomies at facebook.com/mmmmushrooms! They’ll love it :)