Cheddar Perogies with Sage Butter Sauce

March 6, 2012

You can serve perogies with any kind of sauce or none at all, they’re amazing on their own. For this recipe, I went with a sage butter sauce because, well, it’s just ridiculously good. Making your own perogies from scratch is quite a process, but you can always make double the recipe and freeze the surplus. Either way, the time you spend making perogies is definitely time well spent.

Flour-wise, I go with Speerville Flours. Their whole white unbleached flour has a depth of flavor commercial flours just don’t have. Unbleached flower is less processed and contains more of the original wheat kernel, making it healthier and darker in color. I just love the stuff!

Yields about 24 perogies
Serves 4

Filling

• 2 medium potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
• 1 1/2 cup grated aged cheddar
• chives and/or parlsey, finely chopped
• pinch of salt

Boil the potatoes until thoroughly cooked, about 15-20 minutes.
Strain them and let stand for 5 minutes to let the extra moisture out.
Mash and add the cheddar, butter, herbs and salt. Your filling is done.

ps: Don’t throw out your potato skins; put them in a pan with oil + salt and in the oven at 400F for 20 minutes. You’ll have nice, crispy potato chips to munch on.

Dough

• 2 cups white flour
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 3 tablespoons butter, melted
• 1 large egg
• pinch salt

Mix all the ingredients together with your hands or a mixer until you have a smooth dough. If needed, you can loosen it up with a couple drops of cold water.
Let cool for 30 minutes.

Assembly

Roll out half of the dough to about 1/8″ thick. With a glass or dough cutter, cut out 3″ circles, saving the trims.
Put about 1/2 tablespoon of filling in the middle of each.
Dip your finger in water and pass it around the edges so the dough will stick together nicely.
Close the perogies making sure they are completely sealed. Set them aside on a pan.
Repeat the process with the other half of the dough.
Form a ball with the trimmings, roll and make some more.

At this point you can put them in a bag with a dash of flour and freeze them.

Cooking

Bring a pot of water to a boil, adding a teaspoon of salt.
Drop about half of the perogies in and cook for 5-6 minutes or until they float on the surface.
Remove from water and put on a plate with a paper towel to dry them.
Cook the rest of the perogies the same way.

Frying

In a saute pan heat up 2 tablespoons of oil. Once it’s sizzling, fry some perogies for 2-3 minutes on each side.

Serve hot.

Sage Butter Sauce

• 1/4 cup butter
• 8-10 sage leaves, chopped
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice

In a small sauce pan melt the butter on medium heat. Let it bubble until it browns just a bit.
Add the sage, remove from heat and add the lemon juice.
If you used unsalted butter, season with salt.

FacebookPinterestTwitterEmail

cookinginsens March 6, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Wow, those are fabulous!

Tom C March 6, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Gorgeous work Bryan!

Bryan March 6, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Thanks Tom! I’m sure these would be great with your “Rosa dei Venti” sauce. It’s what I’m using next time.

Tom C March 6, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Cool! Please let me know what you think of the recipe!

Eggton March 6, 2012 at 1:16 pm

My God, man, this is a good post. I can’t take my eyes off the color of the dough on account of the flour you’re using.

Bryan March 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm

It’s almost like whole wheat, but acts like white flour. Awesome I’m telling you.

Villy March 6, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Isn’t sage ridiculously delicious? In heavy cream sauce for meat, pasta, as a tea… I have my own plant (still growing, sigh..) :) But I can buy some just to try those!

Bryan March 6, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Sage is great! Can’t wait to grow some this summer.

thekitchenchaotic March 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm

These look soooo delicious. I had a roommate that used to buy pierogis all the time and let me steal one everytime she made them for dinner. Now I have to give your recipe a try! Bookmarked!

cjdelgrosso March 6, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Delicious post! The photos are tremendous, I bet it tasted even better. You keep this up I may reblog you every week!

nic March 6, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I have never cooked with Speerville flour. How does it compare to King Arthur flours? Would I use the white whole wheat?

Bryan March 6, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Hey Nic!
King Arthur flours are also really good. I would indeed use the unbleached white whole wheat. It is similar to the Speerville one.

Snippets of Thyme (Sarah) March 6, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I love that sage butter sauce as well as the sour cream in the dough. I really shouldn’t be perusing food photos at dinner time because I am getting mightily hungry!

latetedelegumes March 6, 2012 at 7:32 pm

This looks so amazing… I’m suddenly starving.
-Taissa

Venessa March 7, 2012 at 2:51 am

Oh wow. I’ve never thought to make my own pirogies. You make it look so easy! I know what’s going on the menu for next week. Thanks!

frugalfeeding March 7, 2012 at 5:38 am

Oh my, they look fantastic. I’ve never ever heard of these, but I don’t know why. I REALLY want a couple for breakfast… we haven’t much food in the cupboards :(

Karista March 7, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Oh yum! My kind of evening… These cheddar perogies and a glass of dry red wine. On my to make list for the weekend. :)

Bryan March 7, 2012 at 12:21 pm

They did go very well with a glass of red wine. Enjoy!

Michelle March 7, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Oh, I have always meant to try making perogies. Now I know what recipe to attempt first.

Janet March 7, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Has anyone else made these yet…waiting for a review on how easy they were and if the pasta was nice or not….anyone?

moe March 7, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I just made these for dinner and it’s very easy to do, if you follow the directions. The pasta was a real success. Just delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

Marie :) March 7, 2012 at 3:14 pm

If I make double the recipe like you suggested, do I freeze the surplus, before or after they’ve been boiled? I’m really looking forward to making these :)

Bryan March 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Hi Marie,
I would put them in the freezer without boiling them. To get the ones you’ve frozen ready, boil them till they float and fry ‘em up. I should have done what you’re doing and made a double batch. They go fast!

Danguole March 7, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I love the idea of making pierogies with a more toothsome flour!

Teri Lynn October 18, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I just made these for dinner tonight, and they were delicious! The dough was simple to make and tasted delicious! They are definitely time-consuming, but make for a special dinner. I’m looking forward to experimenting a bit with different flavours or flavour combinations in the future :) Thanks for another great recipe!! Oh, and my single batch made 40 perogies! Maybe they were smaller than recommended, but it made more than I expected!

Jan March 20, 2014 at 3:38 am

I made these… I had never had Perogies before! These are easy to make and delicious. I sauted onion with Garlic until slightly brown. And used mild cheddar cheese. These will be my go too recipe! I froze mine after boiling. I laid them (not touching) on a cookie sheet… When frozen I put them in a freezer bag. I took a few to work … They were a hit.

Bryan March 26, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Hey Jan, glad to hear they were a hit! I love pierogies – what you can put in them is endless.