Rosemary Popovers

March 9, 2012

I got a recipe for popovers from my girlfriend’s family cookbook, but I had to tweak it five times before the things came out right. They just wouldn’t pop! So now we have over thirty popovers, most of them flat and living in the freezer. Don’t worry, they’ll get eaten. The important thing is that I now have a functioning recipe and that every future popover will rise to the occasion and do justice to its name.

A popover is an eggy bread made of four ingredients; eggs, milk, flour and salt. Quite simple, eh? It is definitely simple and easy once you have a good recipe to work with. For plain popovers, which are great with jam, just discard the rosemary. For cheesy ones add grated cheddar. For smaller ones use a smaller muffin pan. If you have a popover pan it’s even better.

Makes 6-8 popovers

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cup of white flour
• 1 1/2 cup of milk
• 3 eggs
• 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
• 1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 450°F.
Grease and flour a muffin pan.
In a bowl whisk the eggs and milk together. Add the flour, salt, and rosemary. Whisk everything gently until smooth.
Pour in the molds to about 3/4 full and bake for 20 minutes, then turn down the oven to 350°F and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.

Share on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone

Sue/the view from great island March 9, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I just can’t stop staring at that top photo, the light is so beautiful. I’m glad you went to all the trouble to perfect this recipe so I don’t have to, thanks!

patyskitchen March 10, 2012 at 3:20 am

After whisk the eggs, flour and milk..you straight away baked it. There’s no….”resting period” for the batter…..???? That’s great

Ambika March 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Wow!! These look yummy and so easy to make!

frugalfeeding March 10, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Oh my lord, I adore rosemary… so much! These look so enticing.

Isabelle @ Crumb March 10, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Looks like your perseverance paid off! I can’t get over how lovely and golden and airy your popovers are… I couldn’t resist clicking through when I spotted them on Foodgawker.
The few times I’ve tried making popovers, they’ve risen up fairly nicely, but never to this degree. Must try our your recipe the next time I’m in a popover kind of mood!

Villy March 10, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I can’t stop thinking what would fit nicely in this hole in the last photo! Looks tasty :)

Sneh | Cook Republic March 11, 2012 at 3:43 am

It has such a catchy name and love the hollowed shape! Beautiful!

Corinna | kitchenklatsch.com May 7, 2012 at 7:47 am

I made Popovers for the first time last week…and loved them! Have yet to try savory Popovers!