Leek and Corn Chowder Gratiné

March 28, 2012

Here’s another satisfying soup that’s quick, easy, and inexpensive to make. I topped the chowder with croutons and cheese the same way you would an onion soup, but if you’re too pressed for time or too exhausted to bother, the chowder alone is tasty and filling enough to cover for you.

Ingredients

• 3 medium onions, chopped
• 2 leeks, chopped
• 5 medium potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1″ cubes
• 800 ml creamed corn
• 5 cups vegetable stock
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
• salt + black pepper

Toppings

• croutons
• gruyère cheese

Sweat the garlic, leeks, and onions on medium heat until soft – for about 10 minutes.
Add all the other ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are thoroughly cooked. Set aside and season with salt and pepper.

With a hand blender, blend the soup for about 5 seconds. You just want to roughly mix it and leave some chunks in there. If you don’t have a hand blender, you can blend half of the soup with a regular blender for five seconds and then return it to the pot.

Fill an oven-safe bowl with chowder, top with croutons and gruyère and broil for 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.

FacebookPinterestTwitterEmail

Karista March 28, 2012 at 11:42 am

I just want to tell you, I love your blog! The recipes are mouthwateringly delicious and you keep your posts to the point. I can’t wait for the Bite House cookbook. :)

Bryan March 28, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Thanks Karista, I’m glad you are enjoying it!

purabi naha March 29, 2012 at 5:35 am

This looks so tempting!! I loved the recipe!!

Denise March 29, 2012 at 6:32 am

Looks like an ultimate bowl of comfort in soup form:)

Jen March 29, 2012 at 12:18 pm

This just made my tuna salad sandwich lunch jump off my desk and run away in shame. I can’t wait to try this recipe!

Katie March 30, 2012 at 7:12 am

Just found your blog last night…and read it from start to finish. I love how simple and wholesome your recipes are and how easily you explain the steps. If I can make a request? A how to on your home cured/smoked bacon! Bacon is my 1st love (don’t worry, my husband knows ;-) and making it at home would be so much better than the double smoked I buy at the store, which is good but usually all fat and no meat. Keep up the great work!

Russ Whaley March 31, 2012 at 10:23 pm

This looks wonderful – I love soups of all kinds, and can’t wait to try this. Pinterest alerted me to this… thanks for sharing the recipe! -RW

Ann Tingle June 14, 2013 at 2:25 am

I have my onions, leeks, and potatoes already chopped and in bowls covered in water in frig! I’ll save a lot of time tomorrow making the chowder. The recipe looks delicious and I’m following it completely. The only addition will be crumbled bacon on top!!

Bryan June 14, 2013 at 10:42 am

Oooh, bacon on top will be amazing! Let me know how it turns out. :)