Twice-Baked Sweet Potato with Bacon and Green Onions

June 13, 2012

These twice-baked sweet potatoes have crispy, carmelized skins and a smooth tangy filling. Add a dollop of crème fraîche and indulge. Don’t ask me why crème fraîche is so hard to find. Until I started making it myself (cultures are from Glengarry) I never had occasion to try the stuff. Now, I love it in soups, curries, and anything that benefits from a rich, creamy kick.

Crème fraîche is similar to sour cream but less sour and with a higher fat content. You can, of course, substitute sour cream, but avoid the artificially soured kind. It doesn’t really taste good.

Green onions are a sure bet with potatoes. Sometimes they’re called scallions, but I think I prefer green onions. You’ve probably heard the song “Green Onions” by Booker T. and the M.G.’s. It’s a goody and should get you going while cooking this recipe.

I cure and smoke my own bacon, and I get my salad greens from Peter LeBlanc’s Scenic Valley Farm in Margaree Valley. Delicious.

Enjoy!

Serves 4

Ingredients

• 3 medium sweet potatoes
• 6 slices bacon, roughly chopped
• 4-5 green onions, chopped
• 2 tablespoons butter
• pinch cayenne pepper
• 1/2 cup crème fraîche (or sour cream or greek yogurt)
• salt + ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400°F
Bake the sweet potatoes on a baking pan for 45-55 minutes or until you can easily pierce through it with a knife.
Let them cool for about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, sauté the bacon in a frying pan on medium heat until the bits are crispy, this should take about 10-15 minutes. Remove pan from the heat and stir in the green onions. Set aside.

For 2 of the potatoes, split them in half and scoop most of the flesh out, leaving about 1/4″ on the borders. Take all the flesh out of the remaining potato.
Mash, then add the butter and the bacon-green onions mixture.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon the mixture back into the skins and bake for another 20-25 minutes.
Serve with the crème fraîche.

FacebookPinterestTwitterEmail

Vivian June 14, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I believe I have found my dinner for tonight. Thank you!

Bryan June 20, 2012 at 8:54 pm

No problem!

Val June 15, 2012 at 4:23 pm

What a great idea for using sweet potatoes instead of regular ones. Would love to hear more about how you cure your own bacon. How long is that process?

Bryan June 20, 2012 at 8:55 pm

It takes a couple days of curing, then you have to smoke it. I would say the whole process ranges from 3-6 days.

kale June 20, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Brian, I absolutely love coming to your website because the food you prepare is the food I want to eat every day. So satisfying and approachable.

kale June 20, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I’m sorry, I spelled your name wrong! **Bryan. :)

Bryan June 20, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Thanks Kale, so glad you like the blog… it’s the food I eat everyday!

Katherine @ Eggton October 12, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Looks delicious over there. It’s so awesome that you cure your own bacon. This is a very tiny detail, but I love the towel under the skillet. Just the perfect amount of the perfect towel peeking out!

Kaitlyn February 25, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I was wondering, do you have instructions for curing and smoking your own bacon? I’ve tried it once and was a bit disappointed with the flavor, but I also didn’t smoke it. I’m not sure how you go about doing that and would love your help!

Bryan February 26, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Hi Kaitlyn,
Here’s a quick version of how I do my bacon.
Curing mixture is half coarse salt and half brown sugar, plus some crushed juniper berries and bay leaves.
I put the pork belly in this and make sure it’s covered all around. I leave it to cure for 2-3 days, and turn it around every day.
Rince it and it should be ready. It’s also good to leave it for a few days to sit, it seems to deepen the flavor.
From there I smoke it. It freezes really well so I usually do a big batch.
Hope this helps,