Why not right? Runny egg yolks make great salad dressing. I made this the other day with a suillus mushroom foraged by Earlene from the Inn. She told us that the suillus goes really well with eggs. So I went ahead and put together this salad, topping it with the mushroom sautéed in butter, garlic, and fresh herbs. Yum. Feel free to top your breakfast salad with whatever you have around; toasted nuts, cheese, smoked trout, crispy bacon…
• 2 large eggs
• 2 good handfuls of mixed greens
• 1 tablespoon sunflower or grapeseed oil
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 2 tablespoons chopped roasted almonds
• a small handful of aged cheddar, grated
• salt + ground black pepper
Mix the oil and balsamic. Set aside.
Bring a pot of water to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and carefuly add the eggs.
Cook 5 minutes. Put the eggs in cold running water for 30 seconds. Peel the shell off.
Top the greens with the almonds, cheddar, vinaigrette and the egg. Slice the egg open and season to taste with salt and fresh ground pepper.