Roasted Shallots, Spinach, and Potato Gratin

January 24, 2013

roasted shallot gratinCold spell comfort food is mashed potatoes mixed with winter greens, garlic, roasted shallots, and sharp cheese. Here, I roasted the shallots with the skins on, which boosts flavor and also helps to release natural sugars. Out of the oven, they were almost caramelized and deliciously complex. I could eat a whole pan of them and recommend serving them straight like this for an easy side veg. But, if you’re feeling more adventurous, follow the whole recipe and enjoy!

roasted shallots

Serves 6

Ingredients

• 6 shallots
• 5 medium potatoes (I used Yukon gold), cut in quarters
• 5 oz (two large handfuls) spinach, roughly chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 4 tablespoons butter
• 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
• 1/2 cup milk (125ml)
• 75g aged cheddar, grated
• salt + ground black pepper

In a skillet, cook the spinach with a knob of butter for a minute. Set aside.
Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
Cut the shallots in half lengthwise, leaving the skin on.
Lay them face up in a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Cook in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
Once the shallots are roasted, simply peel off and discard the skin and set aside the shallots.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the potatoes for 25 minutes, until tender.
Drain the potatoes and put them in a large bowl.
Mash them around with the butter, garlic, and apple cider vinegar.
Add the roasted shallots, cooked spinach, milk and season with salt and pepper.

Lay the mixture in a baking pan, top with the cheddar, and bake for about 20 minutes, until the top is nicely browned.

Serve!

roasted shallot gratin

FacebookPinterestTwitterEmail

Sue/the view from great island January 24, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I love shallots and they are so underused…I like that you’ve made them the star of this dish. I’ve never roasted them with the skins on, but it makes so much sense, just like with garlic! I imagine you could substitute kale for the spinach? I’m trying to find ways use it lately.
And finally, that’s quite a crust you got going on this gratin— I always judge a gratin by its crust :)

Bryan January 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Thanks Sue! And yes, any winter greens would work instead of spinach.

christine January 25, 2013 at 11:05 am

I made this last night and it was delicious! I used kale and it was perfect. Thanks! :)

Jeff January 26, 2013 at 4:14 am

Odd question, but is there a different type of onion that may work with this dish, or are shallots the one to go with?

Bryan January 26, 2013 at 9:59 am

The regular onion will work just fine, just roast it the same way. :)

Mrs. Measurement January 27, 2013 at 11:15 am

Mmmmmm… This looks like the ultimate comfort food.

Karista January 27, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I am completely in love with roasted shallots. I can’t think of a tastier side dish or addition to a slow braised beef or chicken. This gratin sounds fabulous and also includes another favorite… spinach! :)

kale January 28, 2013 at 3:26 pm

roasting was made to comfort. it’s very hard to find sharper cheeses here, they’re all about the queso fresco (which has it’s culinary place, for sure!) but sometimes i really miss aged cheddar.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert January 28, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I this looks amazing! Found your site via Sue at the View of Great Island. Your photography is wonderful! Have a great week.

Lokness @ The Missing Lokness January 29, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Sounds fantastic! Love the roasted shallots idea! I am very interested about the apple cider vinegar. Can you taste the vinegar when eating?

Bryan January 29, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Not so much, it just adds a nice subtle touch of acidity. Thanks for stopping by!

Maggie October 12, 2013 at 9:05 pm

This is my first time on this site… I just happened on it from pinterest, I just want to say WOW! I have pinned so many different recipes, and I’m excited to make some of these this week. Thank you!