Leek-Stuffed Trout with Marinated Vegetables

February 1, 2013

leek-stuffed trout

Even though we’re in the dead of winter and have been cooking heavier meals, I cannot resist the delicate taste of trout. For lunch, I stuffed fillets with buttered leeks and served them over a few quick-marinated veggies. The almost-raw vegetables give this dish a fresh and crunchy bite.

The plate is once again made by my potter friend Linda at Big Hill Pottery.

marinated vegetablesServes 2

Marinated Vegetables

• 20 green beans, blanched for 30 seconds
• 6 small radishes, thinly sliced
• 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
• 1 garlic clove, chopped
• 2 teaspoons white wine or apple cider vinegar
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• pinch sea salt

In a bowl, mix all the ingredients and let sit for at least 30 minutes.

Leek-Stuffed Trout

• 2 trout fillets
• 1 leek, thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• sea salt

Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Melt the butter in a skillet and cook the leeks on medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice and set aside.
Lay the trout fillets on a tray with parchement paper and divide the leeks between the fillets.
Fold the trout in half from the tail side.
Drizzle with oil and cook in the oven for 10 minutes.
Season with salt and a squeeze of lemon juice if desired.
Serve with the marinated vegetables.

leek-stuffed trout

FacebookPinterestTwitterEmail

frugalfeeding February 1, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Oh yes, trout is a stunning fish – you’ve prepared it (and photographed it) wonderfully!

Sue/the view from great island February 1, 2013 at 10:00 pm

This looks so good, Bryan. I love how the leeks are oozing out of the fish, and the skin practically glistens!

Jeff February 2, 2013 at 12:24 am

It’s a beautiful plate, especially with your trout on top! I need to cook more often with leeks. Do you de-scale it after cooking?

Bryan February 2, 2013 at 10:43 am

Thanks Jeff! I don’t scale trout, but some people do. A matter of taste. :)

Belinda @themoonblushbaker February 2, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I never knew trout could look so flavourful! Wonderful plating. So simple but sumptuous. I cooked this today, rave reviews

Bryan February 2, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Glad you enjoyed! Thanks for stopping by.

Karista February 2, 2013 at 4:43 pm

When I saw this come across my email I highlighted immediately so I could come back and read it! Beautiful! I love fresh trout and this stuffed trout recipe elevates trout to a new dimension. Yum!

kathy July 10, 2013 at 12:40 am

Thanks for the idea/recipe. I stuffed and grilled whole fresh USA farmed trout (from costco :-(), which were white and probably not as good as your nice pink ones. I put some tinfoil underneath on the b’cue, but nextime would opt for grill marks. I added some fresh tarragon and thyme in with the leeks which i think helped. Salad was lovely. Keep up the great work !