Cauliflower and Kale Pasta

February 21, 2013

cauliflower and kale pasta

Cauliflower is one of the most versatile and yet overlooked of all vegetables– it can be sautéed, puréed, roasted, braised, fried, grilled or even served raw. I’ve paired cauliflower with kale and a Gruyère-oregano white sauce. The result is a creamy, hearty, herby pasta dish. You could also use the sauce for chicken or a killer mac ‘n cheese.
Enjoy!

Gruyère and Oregano White Sauce

• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 tablespoons flour
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 2 1/2 cups milk
• 1/2 cup grated Gruyère
• 2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
• sea salt + ground black pepper

In a saucepan, melt the butter and add the onions. Cook them for 5 minutes on medium-high heat, until lightly browned.
Add the garlic and flour and stir for a minute.
Lower the heat, add the milk, and stir until the milk thickens.
Set aside, add the Gruyère and oregano, and season to taste with salt and pepper.

cauliflower and kaleServes 4

Cauliflower and Kale Pasta

• 300g pasta, cooked
• 500g cauliflower, the florets sliced
• small bunch kale, leaves torn in 2 or 3 pieces
• 4 tablespoons olive or grapeseed oil
• sea salt + ground black pepper

In a large skillet or wok, heat 3 tablespoons of oil until very hot.
Add the cauliflower and sautée for 5 minutes, until nicely coloured.
Add the extra tablespoon of oil and kale. Cook for a few minutes.
Add the pasta and Gruyère-Oregano Sauce, and stir until well combined and heated through.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with a few leaves of oregano.

cauliflower and kale pasta

FacebookPinterestTwitterEmail

Karista February 21, 2013 at 12:38 pm

This looks so delicious I could eat a bowl of it right now… and it’s 7am in the morning. :)

Bryan February 21, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Breakfast pasta, good idea!

Sue/the view from great island February 21, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Finally, a kale recipe that really appeals to me. The browned cauliflower looks great, too, but what really interests me is the way you put the sauce together. I’m always craving creamy sauces on pasta, but I stay away because I don’t want to use cream. I love this idea, thanks Bryan!

alaina February 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm

This recipe is fantastic, Bryan! I made it last night and it turned out wonderfully. I even used skim milk for the sauce and it still tasted rich and creamy. What a great, healthy way to enjoy pasta! Thank you!

Jozy February 25, 2013 at 5:29 am

Just finished cooking this for my boyfriend, his friend and I. Filling and delicious! Thank you :)

La Petite Gigi February 25, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Ideal dish. All of my favorite things! Gruyere makes everything better!

xoxo,
La Petite Gigi

Stella March 8, 2013 at 9:50 pm

So satisfying…and I am so guilty of overlooking cauliflower! This was great!! I substituted gruyere with goat cheese because I was too lazy to go to the store. Next time I’ll make it with gruyere and I bet it will be even better!! Your recipes are superb!!!

Bryan March 8, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Thanks Stella, I’m glad you liked it. Nice improv with the goat cheese!

Ryan MacDougall March 15, 2013 at 7:00 pm

This dish was amazing! I really enjoyed the combination of kale and cauliflower! the sauce was delicious as well!